3/27/2016

Easter 2016

I have so many fun memories of Easter. The magic is so strong when you are a child, but somehow having a child now, the magic returns.

Easter a a time to celebrate Christ's birth, his resurrection, the atonement, renewal, birth, and all things fresh and alive, just like Spring symbolizes.

As a kid, I remember sugar overload right before church. It never fell on a fast sunday, and my morning before church consisted of lots of sugar cookies and easter eggs filled with yummy treasures.

We are trying to set more traditions in our family, so this year we decided that we would start the tradition of bisquits and gravy with all the fixins'  on Easter morning. This year was fast sunday in our ward, so we had it Saturday night and it was amazing!!

I am not opposed to cinnamon rolls like we have Christmas morning, but a hearty breakfast just sounds better.  (To make bisquits and gravy, use the McCormick brand country gravy packet. So easy, to make. Then just use your favorite homemade bisquit recipe).

Sunny was so excited this year. She must be growing up.  We had a little Easter egg hunt, just the three of us, in our backyard after dad and I spent a few hours painting the outside of our house. She was so thrilled to find all these eggs hidden.  Then she got to color eggs that night with daddy. She is starting to love hard boiled eggs and I hope colorful ones will make her want to eat them more.


My favorite part was shopping for the easter candy. Dad's too.  There are so many varieties out there, but you know me, I ended up getting tons of chocolate favorites. Dark chocolate eggs, reeses eggs, robin eggs, chocolate bunnies. Then I saw the cadbury eggs. I think I wanted them all. But had to pass on them this year. Too much candy around here is not safe, mostly from me.









                                                     Her Easter egg hunt collection
                                                                    Easter Morning.
                                                              She really dug in. Sugar High.

                                                               So happy it's Easter!
                                                         
                                                              After church pictures.
                                                      She really tested my patience at church
                                                      today.  I think she teaches me more then
                                                      I could ever teach her.






                                                                      What's that?
                                                            Sunny will be 3 years old in less
                                                            then 2 months.  How is that
                                                            possible. Wasn't she just born?


I haven't done an update for awhile, so here it goes. Sunny is growing up so quick.  Just last night, she actually got herself out of the tub on her own, grabbed her own towel and walked right into the room where I was. She insisted in dressing herself.

I can't say she isn't potty trained, because she is. She understands the concept 100%.  Her problem is defiancy.  There are days where she will wake up and say she needs to use the potty, and there are other days she absolutely refuses. It all depends on her mood.  She still refuses to poop in the potty.  I don't understand why, but she just won't.  I am just patiently waiting for her to choose to use the potty all the time. I will not force her to use it.

One of the things she is doing now is shushing us whenever she is scolded.  It will end like, Shhhhhhh, Shhhhhhh, Shhhhhhhh with her finger up on her lips.  It's cute now, but won't be when she's 4.

She still doesn't obey or listen too well.  She has a mind of her own and what she wants, she is determined to get.  That is our biggest challenge going on.

What Sunny is teaching me most of all is how to be a calm, soft spoken mother.  Thast is so not me, but when I am that way, she is a better behaved child. I also notice she is better behaved when I validate her feelings, rather then be annoyed by how she is reacting.  Ignoring her attention getting behaviors, rather then reacting to them, also helps her behavior in the long run.

Oh, I am learning so much. I wish I could be consistent with her daily, I am working on it, but in the gist of it all, I am so glad she's our and that we are a family.  I love who she is. She makes me laugh everyday, and she is my best friend. I love her with all my heart.



Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)