2/12/2016

Cheesy Cauliflower Bake

I normally only post on Sunday's now, but wanted to make an exception to give my readers some Valentine meal inspiration. If you are like us and like to dine in, that is.

 It is our tradition to make a nice dinner at home, make chocolate covered strawberries, and a movie on netflix.

So anyway, today I ventured out to Target. I don't make it there a whole lot, but when I do, count on me to spend literally hours in the store.  I am addicted to that place.

For the longest time, I have wanted a cake stand. I have seen many out there, all priced well.  But, buying one has been the hardest part. I hate spending money on wants like that.

I decided today was the day I would finally buy a cake stand. This is the one I bought. So elegant.
I decided it could be versatile. I would use it on holidays as well a parties When not in use, I would decorate with it, or use it to elevate my kitchen stuff.  Or I might just buy another. ;)
To make your own cleaner, take 2 T. Organic vinager, 6-12 drops of essential oils of your choice, and distilled water. Shake and use. Smells so good. Works so good.
I love a spotless clean kitchen, but who doesn't? 


Poor Sunny. She threw up all night. 

 So onto the food. Served as a side dish with cordon bleu or steak or ribs, this is what we're having on Sunday.
It is so good! As mentioned before,, I have a dairy intolerance, so I usually do substitutions like using goat cheese, or I take enzymes.

Rodney always tries to take me out to eat, but I hate spending money. I would much rather cook something I love.

This Valentine's Day, be sure to give extra love. Remember to love yourself and be proud of yourself.  We are all here to build each other up and comfort each other through hard times.

If you are looking for a wonderful sidedish for your at home Valentine's Day meal, I highly recommend this cheesy cauliflower bake casserole. Even kids will love it.



Ingredients:

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 slices center cut bacon (I use Wegmans brand)
  • 2 lbs cauliflower florets (or  one large head of cauliflower.  it had almost exactly 2 lbs of florets once cut up)
  • 6 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  • 4 oz shredded 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I used Cabot brand)
  • 4 oz shredded 50% reduced fat pepper jack cheese, divided (I used Cabot brand)
  • 3 scallions, chopped – greens only
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of black pepper
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

DIRECTIONS:


  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 2 QT baking dish (I used a 7×11) with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Cook the bacon slices until crisp according to package directions and allow them to cool/dry on paper towels. Crumble them into bite sized pieces and set aside.
  3. Steam cauliflower florets until tender.
  4. While the cauliflower steams, combine the softened cream cheese and sour cream with a hand mixer. Add 3 oz of the shredded cheddar and 3 oz of the shredded pepper jack, the bacon pieces from step 2, the chopped scallions, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
  5. When the cauliflower is finished steaming, drain if necessary and add the hot cauliflower to the cream cheese mixture. Stir until well coated. If you’d like at this step you can partially mash some of the cauliflower (I did a little bit, but kept many florets whole for texture).
  6. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to your reserved baking dish and top with the remaining 1 oz each of shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes. If your cheese on top isn’t golden, turn on your broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Source: Emilybites.com






Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)