2/28/2016

Egg Drop Soup

Growing up, I remember going to my favorite Chinese Restaurant, JJ Hunon located on Ancestor Square. We ate there so often, it was the best treat.  I wish the place was still there because they had the best chinese food I've ever had. I loved going to the restaurant for many reasons. The quiet music and atmosphere, the always formal dining table, a place mat that always had your horoscope, a hot tea kettle and tea cups served alongside  fried wontons w/sweet & sour sauce, egg roles and the most amazing egg drop soup that just warmed your soul. Then came my favorite main dish, which was always shrimp chow mein. So good and so inexpensive. $4.95 was a typical lunch cost. Why isn't that place still around??

With my pregnancy, I have been nauseous 24/7 everyday. I have lost quite a bit of weight because I can hardly eat. My appetite is huge, but it's very selective. I can't just eat anything like I used to and only crave certain things.  Certain things include, mac n cheese with jalepeno peppers, tacos and enchiladas, dutch oven pototoes, hashbrowns and eggs with salsa, sandwiches that always include mustard and pickles, sushi with lots of ginger, oranges, apples, and most fruit, sour gummi candy, and this egg drop soup. 
The problem is, sometimes when I give into my cravings, I regret it and feel even more sick. I can't go wrong with this soup though. 


I can't eat hardly any veggies or smell them for that matter. A few veggies like carrots, lettuce, cauliflower, being the exception. I can't stand chocolate right now, isn't that crazy?

Anyway, that hormones for ya. They do funny things.  Here is the recipe to this soup. It is perfect for upset stomachs, sore throats, you name it.

You’ll need:



  • 4 cups chicken stock 
  • 1 tsp. low sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
  • Pinch white pepper
  • 1 1/2 T. cornstarch
  • 4 eggs, slightly beaten
  • scallion, chopped 
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 T. finely grated carrot

Boil chicken stock. Add spices and tamari sauce, carrot and half the scallion,chopped. Take 1 c. hot broth and pour into cup. Add the cornstarch and whisk until combined. Add back to soup. Allow to simmer for about 5 min. Add 4 beaten eggs to soup and stir. Eat immediately. Top with more fresh scallion. I like to add a few chopped cucumber as well. Serve alongside saltine crackers if you prefer.

source: recipe adapted from thewoksoflife.com

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)