3/13/2016

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

I remember the first time I had beef stroganoff. I was in 6th grade. We were probably into the third or fourth week of school starting. I had a horrible day at school. Who knows what happened, but I just remember thinking that a lot of the girls in 6th grade were not the kindest. I do remember feeling a huge adjustment going to a brand new school away from my comfort zone.

When I got home that day, my mom was away at work and I walked into an empty house. Typical. Back then I would do anything to have a stay at home mom, or a sister or brother, or anyone at home after school.

Walking into an empty house after school was difficult, but I got used to it.  It was days like this that I really craved someone home to vent about my day.  My mom had to work to pay the bills and that was the reality I had to accept. I admired my mom for what she did for me.

That evening when mom finally got home, I remember feeling so hungry and out of sorts. As mom stood at the stove, her feet hurting from standing all day, and her back aching from sore muscles, I watched as she stirred this fragrant sauce that filled the entire house, I began to feel a sense of warmth and comfort. Food can do that you know.

I had no idea what she was preparing, but when she called me to dinner, I felt peace. Everything would be okay.

As I piled my plate full of noodles and then topped them with this rich meaty sauce with sour cream not quite stirred in completely, my eyes grew wide with curiosity. It smelled so good.  What was it, I asked my mom?

"It's called beef stroganoff, ma dear.  And it's my favorite meal. she replied."

"Then why have you never made it before, I questioned."

I took one bite and instantly my world had changed. This was hands down my favorite thing I had ever eaten.


That night I felt great. I daydreamed about my day would be like tomorrow.

6th grade turned out to by my favorite year. The first week was rough, but after that night of beef stroganoff, I had a whole new take on how my year would go. I give a lot of credit to this meal.


Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff.

(This does not have to be prepared in a slow cooker, but it does make the meat so much more tender.



Ingredients

2
pounds beef stew meat
1
cup chopped onion
1
can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup
1
can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup
1
jar (6 ounces) Green Giant™ sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4
teaspoon pepper
1
container (8 ounces) sour cream
6
cups hot cooked extra wide egg noodles 

Optional: 2 tsp. worchestershire sauce for an added kick

Directions

  • 1 In 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper.
  • 2 Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
  • 3  Right before serving: Stir sour cream into beef mixture. Serve over prepared cooked noodles.
Source: Bettycrocker.com

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)