2/03/2010

Fondant Covered Valentine Cupcakes!







I was ridiculously excited to make these cupcakes. I had always heard that fondant was disgusting and hard to work with, but I found an online recipe that used mini marshmallows. The fondant turned out perfect to my suprise and was super easy to make!

Marshmallow Fondant:

4 c. mini marshmallows
4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. water

Makes enough for about 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes.

In a microwave safe large bowl, combine marshmallows and water and heat for 1 minute. Stir marshmallows until smooth and melted and then add a cup of sugar stirring between each cup mixed in. Add food coloring if you like. Knead the fondant with greased hands on a greased surface over and over until firm and shapeable. If fondant starts to stick, add more oil to surface. Roll fondant out and take small amount (slightly larger then cupcake) to be placed over cupcake. With knife, cut and shape fondant around the cupcake and cut remaining fondant off. If small amoun of excess fondant left around cupcake, either cut or fold fondant under to make it shape better to cupcake.

To top fondant with candy pieces, use icing made with powdered sugar and about 1 T. milk. Dab candy with icing and place on top of fondant. I thought these would be fun cupcakes for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)