1/03/2012

Fresh Herbs, Try them!


We just returned home from 10 days in St. George for Christmas! It was fun and it made me wish vacations could last forever! While down visiting my mom and my step-dad, my husband and I cooked gourmet looking meals for them just about every night. I have loved experimenting with fresh herbs and I came across a meal that I love and want to share. I love the combinatins of fresh mint, parseley, and cilantro chopped up and mixed together. When you use this combination of herbs, you get a lot of vitamins, flavor, and one good gourmet looking meal.
I also love to use fresh squeezed lemon juice (not the lemon juice you buy), but with real lemons and use large amounts in most everything I eat, but with this meal the lemon juice really compliments the herbs. You can add more to this meal such as fresh basil if you prefer, but here is a combination I recommend.
1 c. of brown sticky rice. (You want the rice to be a soft, short grain, so their may be others names to this rice that I am unaware of). You can also use pre-cooked brown rice from the store, but I recommend a soft, light, and fluffy rice for this particular meal).
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c. chopped fresh mint
a few sprigs of fresh parsley chopped
1-2 T. fresh lemon juice (or more if you are like me)
1/2 c. black beans
1 c. chopped steak
cooked shrimp
cook rice, next blend herbs together and set aside. Top rice with beans and meat/shrimp and then toss in herbs and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)