1/05/2012

Homemade Tamales (A How To)


If anyone asks what my favorite food is, I would have to say tamales. I remember once getting tamales as a Christmas present from a co-worker and thinking, this is heaven!! I don't just like any tamale though, and I have tried many processed kinds from the store, which I can't stand. I love me a homemade tamale and without the lard. This recipe was adapted from the Food Network Magazine for December. I adapted it with no lard, and they turned out perfect. My first time making tamales, I was a little intimidated, thinking this has got to be a tedious job, but what I found out, is after placing the prepared dough in the corn-husk, then into the rice steamer, I was suprised at how much the tamales keep together. They really work themselves out with the steam keeping the dough together. Their is no training required to make tamales, just a little practice, and its's worth it in the end. I used chicken, but you can use shredded pork as well.
Homemade Chicken Tamales
About 20 corn husks (reserve more just in case
1 pound of shredded chicken breast
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 c. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 small can of diced green chiles (mild)
4 c. masa harina instant corn flour
1 1/2 c. melted butter
1. soak the corn husks in a cassorole pan in hot water, use a plate to keep them down, do this for one hour
2. Make the filling. Bring bouillon cube and 4 c. hot water to a boil in water over medium heat. Simmer and add chicken until cooked through. You can use already shredded chicken and forget this step. Reserve chicken broth
3. Puree the cilantro and 1 1/4 c. reserved broth in a food processor until smooth. Save remaining broth for another use. Transfer to a pot. Add the cumin and green chilis and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in chickcen and remove from heat and cool.
4. Make the dough. with the second can of mild green chilis, make a paste out of them. This will be added to the dough. Combine the chili paste, masa flour and butter with 2 2/3 c. warm water and 1 tsp., salt in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until dough forms. Should be thick.
5. Drain the husks and pat dry with towel. Starting 1/2 inch from the wide end, spread about 3 T. of dough down a husk, leaving a 1 inch border on sides. Then spoon the chicken filling down the center of the dough. Fold the sides of the husk, wrapping the dough around the filling. Fold as if you are making a burrito. Repeat this process.
6. place about 2-3 tamales in the steamer. Bring water to boil. Make sure the tamales are folded side down. Cover and steam for about one hour. Let cool, uwrap and top with your choice of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)