9/14/2015

Flowers and Apple Pies

When we first moved into this house in April, I went a little crazy in the flower department. Star Nursary saw me just about every other day as I was planning my flower path. Sadly, so many of the flowers I planted died, but going with perennials over annuals is my first choice anyday. We have been collecting compost for a couple months now and a lot of it goes to our flowers. I just can't crack an egg and throw the shell out anymore. That shell aids in valuable nutrients. My bougainvillea flower (which I have as any indoor plant as well) is just blossoming so well (it's the bright pink one next to the rock). Yesterday, while it stormed, we decided to bake a apple pie. Rodney loves to bake and Sunday is usually the day he requests a treat to be made. I told him we should start a tradition of Sunday baking. My mom suggested we sell pies, but I think we need way more practice before that happens. Baking a pie from scratch takes patience, time, and mess. Since Sunny doesn't take a nap, one of us has to be supervising at all times to make sure she is safe. Right now, Red Barn has local apples for .89 cents a pound. We decided to stock up and with all the apples, a pie just seemed a rite of passage. Even Tigger could smell that pie baking and wanted to come inside. Lately, he loves being outside, but when he is hungry or thirsty, we will know it. He doesn't go far and often we will find him sun basking in the flowerbed or jumping for butterflies. When we first got him at 10 weeks, he was so insecure, he wouldn't even allow us to put him outside, but now he is very comfortable with us and comes and goes as he pleases. Today, I went over to Petsmart to get him more food and ended up getting 48 pounds of cat food for .4 cents. They told me it's discontinued cat food, but doesn't expire until next year. I saved over 60.00 for top quality food. Can't beat that. I wonder how long it will last him.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)