10/09/2015

Loaded Turkey Cranberry Sandwich


This is the sandwich I never stop craving. It was never in my life until I was 20 and first discovered it. I was a student at BYU-H and it was the middle of summer.  Everyday, I would walk through the Seasider, which was a small cafe/ice-cream station, and smell fresh bread popping right out of the oven. It was this thick, light, hearty whole wheat bread that just melted in your mouth in texture.

Right along the ice-cream booth, there was a small area where turkey cranberry sandwiches were made daily around noon. They were an extra cost and I never bothered to order one since I was on a room/board plan at the school and I got all meals in cafeteria. But I really wanted one and I would dream of what they tasted like.  I would watch the employees make these sandwiches like a work of art they were. It was a cream cheese/cranberry mixture slathered thickly on one slice of bread, then piles of deli turkey, sliced tomato, a bed of rommaine letturce, and a pile of sprouts. The sandwhich was so thick a toothpick would hold it together.

I continued to dream of this sandwich and walk by that station daily.  One fall evening, I walked myself down to the cafeteria to eat. I expected the usual that was all you could eat cafeteria food. Lots of rice, a salad bar, and a rotation of different items I never seemed to impressed with. Then I spotted this sandwich. Was I really seeing it.  Behind the glass window, cafeteria students were asking me if they could make me one. I asked if it was included in the cafeteria food and they said it was. It was as many of these as you wanted, unlimited goodness. Oh my, I think my heart sank.

Every Monday Wednesday and Friday, this sandwich was in the cafeteria at dinner. I think I started attending dinner earlier for that sandwich. And you better believe I went back many times.

If I have any good memories of my year in Hawaii, It was this sandwich.  Since cranberry sauce is typically is cheaper this time of year, I stock up on cans or I make my own. I love my cranberry sauce with just the right of tart and sweetness.  Do me a favor and try this sandwich, you might just crave it all the time.

Method:

Two slices of thick bread of your choice
Romainne lettuce
Sprouts
Cranberry Sauce (either a dollop of cream cheese or mayo mixed with about 1/4 c. sauce
Turkey meat (ham is good too)
Tomato slices
(avocado slices, optional)


Spread the sauce on one side on bread and then add your meat, lettuce, tomato and sprouts. Cut in half and serve with a crisp pickle and chips. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)