11/29/2015

Giving Thanks, Christmas Lights, & Cranberry Orange & Rosemary Shortbread Cookies


This was probably one of my most favorite Thanksgiving this year. Here is why:


* We hosted and I wouldn't want it any other way. The last several years has been spent going to other people's homes and everything was on their schedule.  Since we hosted, it was on our schedule.  We got to decide what time dinner would be served as well as how it would be organized.  And everyone knows how organized I am, right? Just look at my fridge.
Okay, that's not really my fridge. I just had to share this image I found in a Oprah magazine I was browsing through.

*Rodney and I made everything from scratch this year. No processed food whatsoever. Wednesday was spent making homemade rolls, pumpkin pie and yams. The only thing left on Thursday was the turkey prep, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing (made from our own homemade bread) and green bean casserole.  We were super organized this year and everything was done by noon. We were able to clean up as food was made and eat promptly at the time we said.

*After the feast, we had some good old fashioned fun.  People were engaging with each other rather then with their phones, nobody was rushing out the door for Black Friday sales, and everyone was actually interacting in a normal human manner. We sang Christmas songs, engaged in conversation, watched Mrs. Miracle, and had a great time. Is this rare?

I definitely have a strong opinion about how Thanksgiving should be spent. I won't waste time elaborating on how awful certain companies are to start Black Friday on Thanksgiving.  If more people took the time to really spend their Thanksgiving giving thanks and appreciating being home with loved ones, more store employees could be home with their families too.

Our tradition is to decorate with outdoor lights the day after as well as go to the temple to see the lights and nativity. I was super awed at the lights around the town square (Children's Museum). I am still decorating for Christmas and hope to be done this week.




I love to shop for great deals. JoAnn offered 70 perc off on Saturday, so I picked up some buffalo snow as well as other bargains to put on and around our tree. We are doing kind of a polar express theme so the snow fit in beautifully.


I am not done. I still have a little town village to organize and some more white snow theme stuff to work on.



Sunny has her own Christmas tree theme. I decided to center it around babies since she is really taking interest in baby Jesus. I decided to pull out my huge stash of crocheted booties, hats and doll clothing so she could engage with her babies. She loves changing their booties, hats, blankets around and it keeps her busy. I have not crocheted in years and probably forgot how to. :(

In other news, Rodney is accelerating through business school like a breeze. He took 24 credits last semester while working full time. He did excellent in his classes and is scheduled to graduate a whole year earlier. We are so proud of him.

I wanted to share a cookie recipe that I love. I don't eat much dairy but I love shortbread. These cookies melt in your mouth with pockets of cranberry and white chocolate and orange extract and dried rosemary.  Heaven.

*you can reduce the sugar and omit the white chocolate for raisins or macademia nuts, if you prefer.

Ingredients, preheat to 350

1 c. Butter, softened
3/4 c. Powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
1 T. orange extract or orange peel grated
1/2 c. Dried cranberries
2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 c. White chocolate chips
1/4 tsp. Dried rosemary
2 c. Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking powder

Beat butter until creamy, add sugar, extracts and rosemary. Stir in flour and baking powder,  salt and chips/cranberries.  Beat on low until combined.

Drop onto parchment paper rounded scoops of dough. Bake 10-12 min. Cool.

Recipe slightly adapted from allrecipes. Com













Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)