11/02/2015

Quinoa Southwest Bake

Today was such a great day despite Sunny being extremely irritable. She is on the mend from the throwing up, but I think she may have something else going on such as an ear infection maybe?
 Her appetite is poor and all she wants to do is nurse. She hasn't forgotten,  I'm afraid. For the past month, this is what I've said on repeat:

"I'm sorry Sunny, but you're a big girl and big girls don't nurse."

She hates that line. I guess I sound like an acrimonious robot to her.  She still ends up throwing a huge tantrum for up to 10 minutes.

My mom stepped in and offered to drive Sunny over to her house this afternoon.  It's been a long time since I had alone time at home, with just myself.

I decided to watch some Christmas movie and maybe sleep. This was a treat.

A few hours later,  Sunny was back. But that was incredible to be able to relax.

Is my toddler the only one who doesn't nap?

Anyhow, this was a great day. Tonight, I decided to make one of my favorites, quinoa. I have made a lot of recipes from quinoa, but anything mexican is going to top it for me. Add some crushed corn chips cilantro, avocado and all the fixins'


Sauntering the veggies is really the only work besides chopping up avocado and cilantro.

I like to create easy meals, and this was super quick since I had shredded chicken reserved already. It's a matter of dumping everything in a pot and walking away. Just set a timer, so you don't forget about it. 

**Note**
I highly recommend using a good enchilada red sauce, it will make all the difference in how this taste. My favorite brand is Hatch. Ingredients:

Reserved shredded chicken breast from about 1/2 pound chicken

2 T. Olive oil
1 T. Jalepeno pepper *optional*
1/2 c. Onion
1 tsp. Minced garlic
1 Red, orange, or yellow pepper, chopped

Sautee above until tender

In a large deep pot add the following:

1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
1 14 oz can black beans
1 can corn or about 1/2 c. Frozen corn
2 cans 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 c. Chicken stock
1 1/2 c. Uncooked quinoa
Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat to simmer, about 10 minutes or until quinoa is cooked thoroughly and tender/fluffy.

Add 1/2 c. Stock if more liquid is needed to cook quinoa. 

Once done, add sauteed veggies and shredded chicken.

Add 2 c. Shredded cheese blend on top to liking.


Transfer pot (if it's oven safe) into oven for 10 minutes at 375 or until cheese melts

Top with avocado,  corn chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges.


**Today the lighting wasn't great for me to capture this meal.

Thanks to pickledplum.com for excellent photos, photography and recipe.










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)