1/23/2016

Dance Your Heart Out and Greek Pizza


Happy Sunday! It's actually 10 minutes to midnight,  Saturday night.

Because I am only coming to this journal once a week now-Sundays-my posts are going to be a little lengthy. I figure most people will move on to the recipes, but for me it's really important to write what is in my heart and what is happening around here.

So what's been going on this month.

The townhome finally sold!  No more paying two mortgages, Yeah!!
We initially had the notion we were going to continue renting it, but after some negatives, we decided to put on market. We are happy with our choice. We are debating whether to invest in another local property with equity. Ahh, decisions!
We have read and heard too much of Trump's advice. He's great on financial advice and property investing but as for President,  don't get me started.

I have been going to an adult dance class. Is it silly for a mom to dance her heart out? I LOVE it! It makes me look like a teenager.
I haven't danced since my college years where I was an actual dance major for a year (long story why I changed majors) .

Now to digress a bit, let's move onto a Sunny update.

Sunny loves to paint, sing and color and dance. A real right brained gal.

She's not a good eater. Refusing most all vegetables and meat.

She's also picking out her own clothes, dressing herself, and expressing her opinion. She's sassy and will tell me off regularly. A real teenodler she's become.

At home she twirls not just her finger through her hair whenever she is tired.

I debated whether 2.5 was too young for dance class.

I have a feeling Sunny is going to be a dancer, just like her mama.

So as much as dancing is my passion, I realized that Sunny needed that too.
I signed her up and she is now taking dance lessons from the same gal who taught me when I a kid.

                           First day of class.
                          She is so friendly

                           Class attendance
                           After class fun
                     
Sunny, my sweet, I hope this is the beginning of a rewarding dance journey for you.

As I watched Sunny dance from the window, I couldn't help but smile. The way she carried herself with such grace and poise. She's a natural.

So here are a few things on my mind today-

I am taking a lot of notice to Sunny's personality.  She is different then a lot of kids her age and older- but in a very positive way.  Sunny is very excitable. There is not a day that goes by that she doesn't show this to the world.

Whenever we are out and about, she usually takes notice to kids. She loves kids. She will wave and shout "Hello Friends"  every time.  I taught her that.

She's very affectionate to say the least.

Her excitement is contagious. Sunny tries to get others excited to play with her, even kids she doesn't know.

A lot of kids take time to warm up to her. I was one of those shy kids too.

Sunny is learning of the many personalities out there. Not everyone is alike, and that is okay.

What I do want Sunny to remember is to always remain true to herself. I don't want her to change who she is based on how others respond to her.

Some of other fun things we've been doing:

Feeding the Gibson's horse. I purchased a huge bag of carrots at Costco and we take a few up to him. She loves feeding and interacting with horse. This is how I spent much of my childhood doing.

Playdates. Sunny loves hanging out with her very best friend. Everyday, she has been asking to play with "Sawa" as she calls her. These two littles have a few years age difference,  but they play so well together. It's a refreshing break for me too. I actually was able to fold laundry really well.

Netflix- while it's rare for us to enjoy a good show, uninterrupted,  we have seen a few I need to recommend.  I am a huge suspense junkie, and i highly recommend these two series after kids are in bed.
The Fall. This is a series and so exciting and suspenseful. A new series will be out this year.

Broadchurch- oh my, this was as exciting as the fall. If you love mysterious,  this is it.

X-files- the return of the show premieres tonight. On tv, not netflix.  Rodney has been on the countdown. He actually came to me this morning jumping up and Down. That's true excitement!!

How Mama is doing:

I can easily sum it up here:

Motherhood,  you demanding, under- paying, exhausting, sleepless, stinky, messy, wonderfully fantastic thing, you.

Most days I am spent, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

To other mama's out there: if your toddler naps, and willingly goes to bed before 10 pm, consider yourself lucky.

Rodney and I would love a date to see Star Wars. He got me hooked
Getting someone to babysit is a challenge though. Nobody wants to do it. I do pay and have treats and pizza.

Anyway, that is mainly the brunt of what's happening.

I mentioned lengthy post,  right?

A few weeks ago, we went to a place called Rigatti's for some pizza.  So good. My favorite is the greek pizza.  I love greek anything. We love making pizza at home on weekends and decided to make it. Remember,  for Greek inspired meals, keep the staples of cucumber,  tomatoes,  olives, plain greek yogurt, and feta cheese. I have a recipe for greek tacos on flatbread/pita that I will share soon.

You can be creative. Make your crust thin or use flatbread to make individual pizza. It is all great. Artichokes and green olives as well as spinach is fantastic too.

As for tzatziki sauce, you will want that on top of your pizza.  It makes all the difference.

Greek pizza


Homemade pizza dough, choose your favorite recipe. Thin crust preferred.

Ingredients for basic pizza
Olives
Feta cheese
Tomatoes
Meat of choice or vegetarian
Spinach

Fresh ingredients for after pizza is baked
Cucumber
Feta
Tzatziki sauce for on top

On rolled pizza dough, spoon tomato sauce evenly around pizza. Top with above ingredients. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes

Top with cucumber,  feta, and t- sauce.

For t sauce, in a bowl, combine 1 cup plain greek yogurt,  1 T. Feta, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir



Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)