1/17/2016

One Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice

So, how is the limited technology going, you ask?  First off, I realized that it is much harder then I ever thought. My brain is so wired to go to certain recipe sites online that I often went straight to the computer (our second source of technology besides my phone). I found myself searching through recipe cookbook indexes instead, which is okay if you are patient.  The other struggle with no internet at fingertips, ie:phone, was not being able to take quick pictures of Sunny.  I have not used a regular camera in who knows how long.

Today, which is Sunday, is the day I gave myself permission long ago, to do my journaling. My journal is this blog. I have not written anything in a old fashioned journal in about a year.

Sticking with the no internet except Sunday rule is what I favor. Just like the no sugar until weekend rule. It's wonderful!

I find that sticking to a consistant pattern is what my brain chemistry prefers. I also find that my brain enjoys the de-cluttering and energized effect it gets by limiting how passive I become  when I am glued to a screen (TV or internet). So not good for your brain or mind.

So, consistant it will be.  Here is to a new year goal.

I love sharing my favorite recipes and I have several curries I love. This one is no exception. The tender chick peas and cauliflower make it so nutritious, and that balance of curry, rich satisfying heavy cream, and tumeric flavor make this meal pure comfort.

You may mix half quinoa and half jasmine rice together,which I cooked in chicken stock for more enhanced flavor.

Adding a touch of parm on top just makes this meal all more lovely. I think even children will enjoy this meal. Seved with naan and a bit of chopped cilantro, it's amazing.

 It's full of veggies and it's a one pot meal.


One Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice:

**note** you can either combine rice with curry, or not. If you choose to keep rice seperately, just reduce simmer time.

  •  4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp. tumeric powder
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
  • 1 1/2 cups balsmati, jasmine, or other long-grain white rice, precooked in chicken stock.
  • 4 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
Aged parmesan cheese and cilantro for sprinkling over meal, optional.


In a Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in spots. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper.
You may also steam the cauliflower (that is what I did). All that matters is that it is tender cauliflower.
 Add 2 teaspoons oil and onion to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 5 minutes. Add cooked rice, curry powder, and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 2 minutes. Add stock and cream and bring to a boil. Add cooked cauliflower and mix in.  Allow to simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Serve in bowls and add parmesan cheese on top.

Source: Recipe adapted from Stephanie Nielson.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)