1/08/2016

Prepared: What Does That Mean?


One of my passions in life is hearing stories. I love hearing stories my mom shares about my dad and her life in CA before I was born, or hilarious situations my parents got themselves into. I have laughed at so many of these stories. I have been trying to think of stories I want Sunny and my other future child(ren) to hear one day.  Here is one for the books.


When I was 21, I decided to be adventurous and go for a nanny job back east for the summer.  I needed money for school so why not.


The couple was age 31 and 32 and I thought that seemed really old. They had two boys, age 4.5 and 2.5. The same age Sunny is now.



This couple was not LDS, but that didn't bother me. I was so excited to go. I couldn't even think straight.

My mom was thrilled to see me go, as you can see. ;)

A few days later, I boarded plane. I was starting to feel extremely nervous. What if this couple didn't like me, or what if they thought I was a horrible nanny. Afterall, I had no nanny experience, was only 21,  and only babysat for my sister's kids.

After my one layover, I sat on the plane and decided to take a nap. I had about 3.5 hours until I landed in Portland.

 I had only my purse and a small carry on. I wore a pair of cream capri pants and a t-shirt. I had no change of clothes, or underwear with me as a carry on, and never thought I would need anything. I was good. Or so I thought.
                                       
About 2 hours into the flight, I felt horrible cramps. I decided to go in the bathroom to find out what the hell was going on.

When I arrived in the restroom, I was mortified. There was blood all over my pants, underwear, everything was soaked through the back.  I had started and I had nothing. No change of clothes, underwear, nothing with me on the plane.

Back then, I didn't keep track of my friend. If I had, this could of been prevented. 

I did what any desperate lady would do and grabbed a ball of toilet paper and used that for my protection. However, I was wearing a cropped t-shirt and the back of my pants was covered in blood for the world to see. How could I have not known I was bleeding this bad. I was not raining, I was pouring. The altitude does this, scary!

 I so wished I had an extra shirt to tie around my waist, but nothing. 

 I tried to saturate the back of my pants with water and scrubbed. It only made it less bright red and more brown. Blood does not come out too well and I could not remove my pants to allow them to soak.

 I was in major trouble. A very classy couple was picking me up very soon, and I needed to come up with a plan and FAST.

I sat in the bathroom for a good while. I remember the FA asking me if all was okay in there.
I could not face this couple or anyone.

I thought of several plans, all which seemed ridiculous. I had no layover and my plane was landing soon.

1. I would turn my pants around and wear them backwards. I had a purse and carry on. I would conceal the stain by carrying my purse in front of me.

2. I would see if I could purchase a pair of new pants at the airport, then run back to the baggage claim and meet the couple there.  This plan wasn't the best, however. I distinctly remember them saying they were going to meet me right at the first gate off the plane.

I decided to go with the first plan. I turned my pants around and decided to put my purse in front of me. This had to work!!

When I finally landed, I arrived off the plane and the couple was there. The husband was very handsome. We introduced ourselves and we walked to baggage claim.  They were so kind and generous. 

I had managed to pull off something and we arrived at Sabago Lake, ME around 10 pm.  

This was the best job, and I had a blast out there. But the embarrassment doesn't end yet.

25 days later:

I was on the deck and the husband and wife were behind me. I was chatting with some other people and we were interacting with the kids. We were talking about how the summer was almost over and how it was almost time for me to be heading back to UT.  A few minutes later, the wife came up from behind me and whispered in my ear.  

"Amy, I don't mean to humiliate you, but we noticed you have blood all over your behind. You better take your pants in to soak them."  I looked behind me and sure enough, I did it.

 I had started my period again. I thought I was going to die!


Lesson learned. Keep track of your cycles to avoid this kind of chaos.

Back then I did not think this was amusing but as I look back on these experiences, I am reminded that nobody is exempt from humiliation. We all make mistakes, plan poorly, or forget to prioritize. 

These shocking experiences made me prepare! 

With each January first that comes, we can reflect back on the past and decide to make positive changes in weaker areas of our lives. With me, that is certainly keeping track of dates!!

We may not be able to understand Mother Nature, but we can be prepared in all areas of our lives for the better.

Areas I am learning to become better prepared in include:

1. Food storage ( I can't emphasize how important this is, in addition to water supply) Don't forget a can opener.
2. Water, blankets and pillows, a change of old run down clothing for the entire family, to be kept in all vehicles. In my trunk, I have a supply of some of these things,
3. An empty container for gasoline
4. matches
5. A car that always has at least a half a tank of gas in it.
6. Hidden cash (You can't rely on debit cards in case of emergencies)
7. flashlights, battery operated radio, knives, and tools
8. A calender
9. Shampoo and soap and other sanitation needs
10. A First Aide Kit and medications such as aspirin, etc.

Rodney is a HUGE food storage and emergency prepardness organizer. I am thankful he has instilled this importance in me.

To anyone,  I hope this story brought a smile on your face and made you realize that you may not be alone in the idiot department.

This is just one of many, many humiliating stories I have to share.

I hope this New Year brings peace, love, preparedness, and positive changes in our lives as we prepare for what really matters.  Love ya!

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)