5/20/2016

Dark Chocolate Paleo Birthday Cake

As a kid I ate a lot of sugar. My favorite place was a small store I referred to as "Old Nisson's." The store had everything it seemed.  Sadly, the store was demolished in 2010. The old man, Named Mr. Nisson, lived next door, still does, and he would patiently ring me up everytime for all my bundles of penny candy, Charm suckers, Jolly Rancher's, and other treats that I can't find around anymore.

A friend and I would ride our bikes down to the store, then slowly eat our treats together. My favorite childhood memories.

Not only did I gain my independance taking off to that store, but I went there a lot without my mom's permission.

I think my sweet-tooth developed rather quickly from that point on.

Whenever my sister babysat, I would run off to the gas station that was conveniently located next to their apartments and load up on sweets and then came the summer babysitting for my sister when I was 12. She had endless otter pops and poptarts stored in her place and would spoil me rotten with treats after work. Those were the days.

Now I am making up for all that by cutting down on the sugar. It's hard, but in deciding what to do about Sunny's birthday this Saturday, chocolate cake is what she asked for.  I decided to make a gluten-free, dairy free, sugar free, high fiber cake that is DIVINE. I have made it about 8 times and it's probably my favorite out there.

We are not a gluten free or paleo family, but this cake is for anyone who wants a healthier approach to eating cake. It bakes up perfect and has the right about of sweetness with loads of chocolate flavor.

The frosting is a simple buttercream chocolate frosting, but I have topped it with fluffy whipped cream and strawberries as well.

I am not having a large party with friends this year. Just family. With desperately trying to potty train my child, working on the house, and being prego, this mama just wants a little simplicity this year.

Speaking of pregnancy, let me throw in a picture of my baby girl. She was in the cutest pose and I can't stop smiling. How flexible!

I love being pregnant. It really is the best!





Dark Chocolate Paleo Birthday Cake

Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Pulse together dry ingredients in a food processor
  2. Pulse in wet ingredients
  3. Grease two 6-inch springform pans with coconut oil
  4. Pour batter into prepared cake pans
  5. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes
  6. Cool and frost with frosting of choice
  7. Serve
Note: If making cupcakes, do everything the same, but reduce bake time by 5-8 minutes

Source: Elana'spantry.com

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)