1/27/2017

Making it through Winter & End Of Week Re-cap

Bettrr.  Most people don't know that we don't use the heater in our house.  We use a fireplace and burn wood. We kindof live like mountain men. Part of our living room is full of sticks and wood and looks like some rough terrain. Good thing Sunny is old enough to not trespass and Addie is too small to explore.

I love my house to look "pretty" but that ain't happenin' this winter.

It'S much cheaper to live like this, but when the fire goes out, it is chilly.

When we moved into this house, we noticed the heat source was electric not gas. Running the heater on electric is super expensive.  We called up to get a quote on installing a gas line so we could have heat. It would be about 8,200. Why on earth did nobody install it before us. This house was built in 1973. Geez.

What baffles me is nobody did anything to this house as far as upgrades. We've done it all. Someone did create a garden, and a very fine one. So whoever you are, good job!

The people who lived in our house before us had two blended families living together. How they did it with 4 plus kids,  I don't know. Before we made an offer on this house, we walked through it. It was disgusting. The carpet had paint and dirt and nail polish all over it. The tile was the original, counters were missing, weeds were high outside. It was bad and the people that inhabited it were pigs.

We knew we were in a long haul and it would take all our savings and more to upgrade it. We tore it apart, the walls, tile, carpet, counters, cabinets, it all came out and replaced with new. We were minimal in hiring. We did most ourselves.  My mom was going through a nasty divorce during that time and we were living with her to help her cope while we worked on it.

So after putting so much money into the house, we wondered if we could just save the 8,000 and buy a fireplace insert instead. We decided on that.

I love our fireplace, but keeping a fire going isn't always easy. Rodney is a master scout man and is very experienced in that area, but I always struggled in my hiking and survival class at the Y, and got a B instead of an A because I couldn't start a fire from scratch with my bow and drill.

With a new baby, I have made every effort to keep our place warm for her. I can endure the chill, but keeping my babies warm is my top priority.

I hated the heat last summer, but right about now, it doesn't sound so bad. Can't wait for spring and more sunshine.  Winter is not my fondest season.

So, this week here is what we did:


We bought a new front door. No more bright coral orange door.  It makes our house look more sophisticated and less Pee-wee Herman-ish.

Rodney sliced his finger installing said door and got 8 stiches.

In other news, Addie Olivia is being a royal pain. She always wants to be held and cries until she's held again. Good thing she's cute.

She is also sleeping in our bed. I never thought I would do the co-sleeping stuff, but it's happening and I got to change this fast. I am getting more sleep though and I wonder if that's more important then starting a bad habit.



She is getting big and rolling now. She is fasinated by rolling from her back to tummy. Its so fun to watch. Sunny on the other hand is doing well. She is getting better and cleaning up after herself and is really maturing. She can be a bit rough with her sister, but has a deep love for her.



Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)