1/23/2017

The Battle Of The 3's

I don't have much time to write as baby is about to wake up any second and Sunny will need my attention within the next 2 minutes, so this will be quick.  I am been having a lot of "why" moments lately regarding my 3 year old. I love her so much, but there are times I can't quite understand her.

When I was her age, I was so different.  According to the one who raised me, I took naps, I was obedient, I ate well and was not too picky, I was very quiet and shy.  So, I ask myself, if all things are inherited, why didn't Sunny inherit those traits.  I asked Rodney's mother what he was like. She gave me a few traits he had, and I think Sunny must take after him on some level, except Rodney took naps more often then not and he was a little more shy then Sunny. He was not a picky eater and I am not sure if he was obedient or not.....

Here is the thing, there are worse things in life and I am not here to complain, but rather describe where Sunny is in this season of her life so that years down the road, we will be able to look back and remember what frisky little 3 year old she was.

I am not sure if parents shape who their children become (operent conditioning I believe is what it's called) or if children are just born with their personalities.  I am leaning more towards they are born with their personalities.  When Sunny was born, I knew she wasn't going to be easy.  When Addi Olivia (We are starting to call her that since Sunny won't let go of her former name and we all got a little attached to it as well) was born, I felt she would be a bit more mellow and somewhat the same as Sunny. Only time will tell.

I am learning not to compare children. When I do that, I am so much harder on Sunny then I should be. Instead, I am learning to accept who she is and embrace her personality while instilling values and lessons I want her to learn and remember. So, here is my "Why" with my Sunny.

1. Why she won't take a single nap no matter how hard I try
2. Why she can't ever behave in Sacrament meeting
3. Why she can't use a toilet, but rather her mini potty that has to be cleaned out. Flushing a toilet would be so much more preferable. At least no more diapers unless in public (no use of toliet, remember).
4. Why she only will eat bread, cheese, muffins and chips and peanut butter and Jelly as her staples
5. Why she will not obey when asked to do something. Bribes don't work. She's getting better.
6. Why she wakes up so early and goes to bed so late, despite our efforts to tuck her in, read and sing to her.  Sleep would be the best present she could give me, but Sunny has had a sleep disorder since she was born and I am seriously thinking of putting her on medication for it.
7. Why she is stubborn

I have a list that can go on but I don't want this to be negativity outlet where I feel I am picking on her.  She has more positives about her then negatives and I want to focus on the positives more anyway.  I want Adelaide to look up to Sunny one day and teach her how to be a productive citizen one day as well as a leader who is kind and isn't afraid to be herself.

I tell myself I hope this is just a phase of the terrible 3's. I remind myself that each year will be different and as hard as these stay at home mom years are for me, it will go by fast an I will miss every little bit of it. It's just hard to think that way when days are stressful.

I love my kids so much and they are my life. I know I need to make improvements in myself and be better too. I know by strengthening my weaknesses, I can learn and grow at the same rate as Sunny. I know I am here to teach her, but I feel she is the one teaching me. She teaches me daily about patience, love, acceptance, forgiveness, and how to be more friendly. What a great example she is to me to follow in her footsteps,

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)