7/09/2010

Spicy Lentil and Black Beans


Dr. Oz has convinced me to eat my lentils. You can choose to make this meal spicy or not. I made this the other night. If you made the black beans over rice meal, you will be sure to like this. I served this over quinoa and it was great!

Spicy (or not) Lentil and Black Beans

About 2 c. of dried lentils
6 T. olive oil
1 can black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes
1/4 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped green peppers
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. chopped scallions
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder. (optional) I used 90,000 heat units.

Cook lentils as instructed on package. In large saucepan, saute yellow onion, garlic and green pepper. Add lentils once cooked, black beans, tomato, broth and seasonings. Once to a boil, reduce and simmer covered for about 40 min, or until thickened. Right before serving, add cilantro and scallions and allow to simmer on low for an additional 5 minutes. Serve over rice or quinoa for a great, nutritious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)