10/14/2015

Broccoli Bacon Salad & Cauliflower Potato Salad (Two Ways To Get Those Veggies To Taste Great)

I created this online journal back in 2010 as an online journal and recipe index. I later decided to make it into much more. Nothing big where I get paid for blogging or sponsor. I have never been interested in that. I just wanted a history for later reflection.

If there is one thing I want to teach Sunny when she grows up, it will be to never gossip and if she knows someone who does it, to change the subject, fast. That is what I do and it works like a charm.

 I realize that by blogging and sharing my life with others, other may relate. Dont we connect better? Everyone has challenges and deep feelings that want to get out. We are after all human, right? But does everyone share, maybe not. I want others to know that I am no different then anyone else struggling with stuff in life. I may be more articulate about it, but I handle my deepest issues by talking or writing about them. That's just me. I have to do it. Holding things inside causes me to become sick. I think everyone should have a release. Just talk about it! I would be willing to listen to anyone who needed me.

 Now onto the food. I love to make healthy, wholesome foods, but they have to taste good. I detest bland food. The picture doesn't do this salad justice. It is bursting with flavor, trust me. If you have kids, they will love both these salads. The cauliflower potato salad is also a salad I have been making for years. Cauliflower is simply substituted for potatoes, and made the same way.

 Brocolli Bacon Salad

 INGREDIENTS

 Dressing:
3/4 cup light or regular mayonnaise
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
 2 T agave syrup
 Salad: 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
 1 small red onion, finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Shredded cabbage, optional

 DIRECTIONS In a bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss the salad ingredients together. Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss to coat all the ingredients with the sauce. Put in the the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. Recipe adapted from Melskitchencafe.com Don't forget there is one more crammed into this post: Cauliflower Potato Salad
 1 head of cauliflower, chopped small and steamed to perfection
1/2 c. chopped red onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
 1/4 c. chopped pickle
1/4 c. diced olives (optional)
3-4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
 Dressing 1/3 to 1/2 c. of mayo (add to your liking for flavor)
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper to taste
 1/2 T. of Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. of garlic and onion powder
1/8 tsp. of dill
 Mix in bowl and pour over veggie's. Chill for about an hour before serving. Source: escapefromobesity.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)