10/17/2015

Patience For Mr. Right

Because I have every intention to print out these posts and make a book for Sunny to read one day, I am going to direct many of my posts for lessons I want her to learn.


Patience is a virtue and patience is hard, but it is worth it. One day you will want to find Mr. Right and you may be lucky and find him immediately. Or, you may have to wait. Either way, he is out there for you. Trust in the Lord as he has a plan for you. You are his child, and he wants what is best for you.  Let me share my story of how I met your dad. I really had to be patient too, but it was worth it!

In high school, most of my friends were guys. I had a guy friend who I started spending a lot of time with, especially my senior year.. We did many things together, sometimes just the two of us. We ate lunch together, we went to movies together, we talked about our future goals together. We were always together and he knew me well.

He knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life. He would go to Dixie College, then on a two year LDS mission, then go to BYU, then he would go to school to become a pediatrician, and maybe he would marry me, I hoped.   You know what is interesting, all those things happened, expect the obvious last one.

I shared my goals with him too.  After high school graduation, we both went to Dixie College and we both hung out all the time. We started doing things every weekend. We never were serious, we were just good friends. We felt so comfortable around each other like a brother and sister would. I always thought he was handsome but we never once were intimate. We were just best buddies.

I started wondering if I should date guys and still hang out with him. I wondered if that would confuse other guys. There are plenty of awkward dating situations with him there along with another guy, but I will not go into details. Too much.

Anyway, long story short, he went on his mission and I went to BYU-H.  I met other people and kindof forgot about him.

About 2  years later, I was at BYU in Provo and I was checking my email one day. There were a message from HIM. My heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. He said he wanted to see me and do something together. For the first time in ever, I was a mess. I honestly never in a million years thought I would have that kind of reaction to his emails. I suddenly had feelings for him for the first time. Maybe because it had been years since seeing him. He was my best friend in high school and now I was so scared to see him.

I emailed him back.  One day, I ran into him on campus. We walked and talked on our way to class, but it wasn't like it was before. We were both nervous out of our minds. He was a returned missionary and I knew he was looking to get married to someone. I was hoping for the same thing. However, going from what we had to a whole new dimension of possible love, was not something I could handle.  I wanted him as the same friend I knew before.

We could be silly and casual and ourselves. I wanted that. I could not handle this pressure I felt or of how he felt. We were at BYU after all. Everyone had one agenda, to get serious with someone and get married.  I basically couldn't handle it and we never saw each other for a long time., because of me.

 We both dated other people.  I felt angry at myself. What was I doing?

In a nutshell, he ended up getting married to someone else, but I had no idea. I just felt magically one day, he would re-enter my life and I would wake up and just marry him.  When I found out he had married someone else, it was not easy for me to accept. I felt so angry with myself for such a long time.

One day, he emailed me years later. He was in his third year of school and he wanted to know how I was doing?  I thought he was still single, until I saw a picture of his wife and new baby.

I needed to feel happy for him, but it was  hard.

I guess I thought he deserved somebody better. Kindof like that movie, "Where The Heart Is." Now that I look back on those thoughts I had, I know those are not feelings from God.  All of God's children have infinite worth. I never realized that at 22.

After I graduated from BYU, I was still un-married. I felt like a failure.  I went home for a year and decided to return back to BYU for another degree, Special Education. I thought by returning there, I would for sure find someone.

Still nobody.

I decided to take a teaching job up in West Jordan at 26 years old, then in San Francisco area.  I was single and had nobody to worry about but myself. I lived it up in San Fran. I spent all my money and came home broke.  That is very un-characteristic of me.

I accepted a job in Provo, UT a year after San Fran. I was in my late twenties.  I didn't think I would ever meet anyone.

Rodney had been interviewing for a school police position and was down in Provo quite a bit for follow-up interviews. He got my phone number one day and called me. He lived up in Syracuse, but was willing to come down for a date.

Life has a way of suprising you though.  Four months later, I went on a group outing with my roommate and another friend. We met up with Rodney and we headed to the movies.

In only 3.5 months, we went on first date,  engaged, then married. I never thought that would happen. This concerned my mom. We didnt really know each other. But I prayed and just knew he was the one.

Life couldn't have worked out better for me, although many times I felt I was for sure going to die alone someday.  I am so glad I chose to stay close to the gospel and chose to not settle. As sad as I was for my choices, I am glad things ended up like they did, so I could meet your dad. EVERYthing happens for a reason.  I was supposed to meet Rodney.

Waiting for the right guy who could take me to the temple, was not easy, and there were times I felt I should just marry anyone just so I could feel accepted in society.  It is not easy, but I am a firm believer that something always comes out good at the end of a long road.

Sunny, Always remember to love yourself,  know your divine worth, and stay close to God. He has a plan for each of his children and if you are willing to be steadfast and obedient,  blessings will be in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)