1/12/2016

Basil Chicken Coconut Curry Over Rice

I had this dream one night. I went back in time. I left the year 2016 and was in the year 1961. I don't know why  I dreamed of that specific year. Maybe because I was watching my favorite movie,  Breakfast At Tiffany's and that is the year it was filmed. Who Knows!  

The point is, The dream was fantastic. I was back in high school as a teacher, and nobody had cell phones or knew what texting was. People didn't use computers and teachers recorded everything with notebooks and pencils.

I remember walking around looking at the awesome fashions. Women carried purses instead of backpacks (more hip, ya think) and wore mules and shift dresses. The girls had bangs and wore a lot of pony tails.  The guys were romantic and gave the girls love notes between classes or dropped them in their locker vents. After school, they made plans for the weekend in person, and then headed out for some fun.

The guys serenaded the girls under the moon while romantic music played on the radio.

I woke up with a smile on my face. This dream felt real. Why couldn't life be that simple still. Why has this age of technology changed the simplicity and socialization that happened back then.

To be honest, I didn't want to return to 2016. I felt happy in the year 1961.

That day, I handed over the husband my phone and had him hide it. I wouldn't need it back. No!!!!

No internet for me, no cooking blogs, no pinterest, no blogging.  Zero, zip, nada, zilch!

I would look through my Betty Crocker Cookbook and find a recipe.

So, that's what I did.

She didn't have no curry and I really wanted me some curry. So, I sneaked the internet, just for a moment. I would go on melskitchencafe.com and find my favorite curry recipe. 

I got my recipe, but while I was at it, I would check a few other things, like facebook and do a few blog posts, like this one and the one before!  Mise well do it all at once, right?

20 minutes went by and I was suddenly in a different world. Internet does that. I logged off and committed to being back in the year 1961.

Now, I am on my way to get a new 1961 haircut, a few highlights and a shift dress. Good thing the shift dress I want is on sale.  Oh, and I can't forget the shoes and t-bird. 
Source: unknown

Life maybe more simple without the technology there for me, but I am committed to making this my new year resolution. I am going to plug out and be plugged in to what matters.

Sunny starts her first dance class next week. I am excited to see how that goes.
More time in the backyard once weather is nice
I have my gym membership, thank goodness.


I think I can manage to  stay busy!

Now, finally on to this recipe. It is one of my favorites and I had to share. I hope you enjoy it as well.


  • Ingredients:

  • 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (by seeding the jalapeno you lose most of the spice/heat but retain great flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 3 cups hot cooked rice
DIRECTIONS
  1. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Stir together curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
  2. In a large nonstick frying pan, stir onion, basil, garlic and peppers in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink.
  3. Combine coconut milk and cornstarch and whisk well to combine. Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in ginger. Cook and stir for another minute. Serve over hot rice.

Source: melskitchencafe.com

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)