4/17/2016

Brocolli & Cheddar Soup

One of my pregnancy issues is not being able to stomach vegetables. They are extremely hard for me to eat.  However, this soup was no problem for me. It was so rich in flavor with hints of chicken stock and butter flavor and loaded with sharp cheddar cheese and veggies. This soup didn't just have brocolli. It also had celery, onion and carrots. Everything blended so well. The toasted sour dough bread soaking in the warm soup was the best part.

I didn't even mind the small peices of glass found in my soup. It was a bit uncomfortable I must say, but it didn't keep me going back for seconds.

So how did the glass end up in my soup and Rodney's.  It started with Sunny grabbing a chair like she always does, trying to help make dinner, her reaching for my favorite Pioneer Woman Glass water mug, taking a drink, and then slamming the mug down as hard as she could. Glass shattered everywhere. My poor favorite mug I just bought.  I admit I did lose my cool.

Water and glass was everywhere, dinner prep was put on hold, and the stove was pulled out so water would be soaked up with towels.  Bits of glass was everywhere.

The only good that came out of this was I got to see how much crud was underneath the stove.  After sweeping and mopping and putting the fan out, it was finally done and clean!  Phew!

I decided to put myself in time out and just collect my thoughts. Sunny is getting to be a handful lately, reaching and grabbing for everything.   As I sat there, all mad over my mug, I fell asleep.  It's only a mug afterall.

So, back to the soup.  Sunny of course wouldn't touch a drop of it, but Rodney and I had no problem finishing it off.  Now Rodney is baking away as he does on Sunday. making a peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake.  We eat A LOT of sugar on the weekends!

Ingredients:

5 T. Butter
1/4 c. onion, chopped
2-3 T. flour
1 cup half and half or milk (not skim)
1 1/2 c. chicken stock or broth
1 carrot, chopped fine
1 celery, chopped fine
2 c. brocolli florets, chopped
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Melt butter in large pot.  Add onions and saute until tender, Then whisk in flour.  Add celery and carrot and cook on low medium for about 3 minutes.  Add chicken stock and brocolli and bring to boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
Add half n half or milk last and allow to simmer another 5 minutes.  Add cheese and stir. Serve.
Note: If soup is too thick, add about 1/2 c. of liquid and this will thin it out. Also, if you want to double this batch, increase your liquid and cheese amount.

Source: Allrecipes.com  Recipe by Sandy Lafleur

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)