4/10/2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie With Peanut Butter Reeses Cup Center

I have this rule I set for myself. I try to reduce my sugar as best I can during the week, but on weekends, bring on the sweets.  My favorite thing in the history of ever is chocolate chip cookies. Not just any though. I have made some horrible recipes. My favorite is the classic Nestle recipe, which is found on the back on the chocolate chip bag. That one is great.

I love my cookies with just the right balance of sweet n salty. If the salty factor is missing, the cookie is a no go for me.

If you add my favorite candy bar to the equation, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, then I might be in trouble.

Today, we had some leftover chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer and left over Easter candy, which happened to be Reeses Eggs.  Oh yum!

So before I get onto the cookie recipe, I want to share a little bit about Sunny.  She changes so frequently and I am not too great at running to my blog to record every little cute thing or not so cute thing so does.

So, while fresh in my mind, let me first brag about this little bugger.

1. Call me biased, but she is the cutest and smartest little girl I have ever seen.

2. She knows how to spell her name, count to 20, do her ABC'S, knows all her shapes, including what a octagon and hexagon is, has incredible comprehension skills where she can name the character's of a movie or book after she has read/seen it.

3. She is completing complex puzzles for ages 3 and up. I can't even do them.

4. Her vocabulary is impressive. A week ago, on our way into town, she was sitting quietly in her carseat when she said, "Mom, change lanes, okay."  My first thought was who on earth taught her about lanes???
5.She can identify all the letters of the alphabet and numbers 1-12. She is currently working on wrting them.
6. She has amazing artistic skills and patience.She paints almost daily and makes amazing abstract art. When she colors, she stays in the lines very well.

7.  She is extremely friendly, drawing attention to us each time we are out and about. When she sees a small child, either boy or girl, she will wave and shout, "Hello, little girl, Hello, little boy."  How adorable is that?

8. She gives most kids hugs when she sees them.

9. She loves her dance class and it must be the highlight of her week.

10. She talks about Disneyland and Mickey Mouse often.  We decided we are taking her there a few weeks before her 3rd birthday as a birthday gift.

11. Loves to sit in her carseat and go on car rides. This is a huge change from when she was under 2 and screamed in her carseat.

12. Loves to jump on trampoline and LOVES to sing. I find it hilarious that she asks when choir practice is so she can sing first, and then play with "little boy"

13. Loves having her hair cut, curled, and her nails painted. She actually holds very still.

14. Loves to help in the kitchen. Whenever I am at the counter preparing dinner, or Rodney is baking, she will pull a chair up and try to help. Not sure this is a blessing or a curse.

Now onto the NOT SO GREAT STUFF:

1. The older she gets, the pickier she gets. She refuses all meals I serve.  My rule is eat or go hungry. She prefers to go hungry. Sad, but true.

She has gotten so picky, that the only foods she willingly eats now are bread, chips, cheddar cheese, cookies, pancakes, muffins, banana and once in awhile maybe a cucumber or carrot.

She is sassy and strongwilled, I have said this on every milestone update.  To clarify, she doesn't like authority or being told what to do.

Still hates sleep. Stopped taking naps shortly after she turned 2.

Hates having her teeth brushed.

Absolute refusal to sit on potty. Might sit on it once in a blue moon.

Still gets out of her bed at night.

Loves watching cartoons a little too much. I'm working on no more then an hour a day as they say.

Phew! Well, that's her milestone updates for now. Next month, she turns 3!!! Yikes!  A lot of my family and friends tell me that age 3 and 4 is much harder then age 2.  I am learning there is truth to that for sure. She is getting so much more independant and determined and I know things will get more challenging.  I need to get prepared.

As I wrap up this post, I would like to mention how nice this rain is for the past 3 days. I love loud thunder and I know our grass needs this.  The air is cold and chilly, but what better way to enjoy this Sunday, then enjoying some freshly baked cookies.


Chocolate Chip Cookie With Peanut Butter Reeses Cup Center 



Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.)   Nestle Chocolate Chips (Milk or Dark
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • For the center: Reeses Peanut Butter cups. I used our left over Reese's Chocolate Eggs from Easter.
What You'll Do:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. 

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. 

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars. 

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION: 
PREPARE
 dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. You may now place a peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie, or you can choose to place the  candy on the cookie immediately after coming out of oven. Both work.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies. 

Source: Verybestbakingbynestle.com

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)