6/02/2016

Potty Training Update

 Sure there are tougher days then others, but I never thought it would take this long for Sunny to use the potty consistently.

I decided I needed to let go of my fears of mess around here. And by mess, I mean getting used to cleaning pee/poop off the carpet.  It wasn't something I was ready for.  Our carpet is a little over a year old. I like to keep it clean.

A few days ago, I decided that she would need to go naked or wear underwear around here. No more pull-ups around the house. 

Let's just say there's been a lot of accidents.  I fear the pooping the most, but so far, the pee has not been too bad.  A little vinegar and scrubbing works wonders.

She has been going on the carpet and refusing to run to her potty on several occasions.  
I am using a reward system.  I offer things she loves, but it hasn't been enough to excite or motivate her.

I decided to be that mom who uses TV as a reward only, I didn't think I would ever do that, but she no longer can watch any show unless she uses the potty.  So far, still not enough of a motivator.

This has been tough.

I had a heart to heart talk with her and and asked her, "Why won't you use the potty?"

She replied, "It has to be a Minnie Mouse potty"

My first thought was what a total waste of money for me to toss out her perfectly fine potty that I bought long ago, only to trade it in for a Minnie one.

I decided to check out Walmart first.  There on the shelf sat three Minnie Mouse potties that also sang songs and other shabang.  It came with a cost of 25.00. Oh brother.

I put the potty in the cart and then stopped to think.  "Why am I doing this?" She already has a potty, what if the novelty of a new one wears off, and she stops using it."

Then I came up with the brilliant idea of purchasing Minnie Mouse stickers and placing them all over her potty. So that is what I did.

Did it work?  Nope.

I then tried some potty training books. She still refused to go.

My sister suggested I use a chart and place a star next to it each time she uses the potty. So that is where we are at.  I am not sure this will work either.

For those wondering if Sunny understands how to use the potty, she does.  It is just a refusal phase she is going through. She loves wearing a diaper/pull up because I suppose she feels secure in them and can't deal with change.  Sunny does use the potty without being asked, first thing in the morning, but after that, it all goes out the window from there.

I guess Heavenly Father is really testing my patience right now.  I haven't gotten angry over the accidents (unless it's poop, that is a different story) but it's more about finding out what works and what doesn't.


Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)