8/06/2010

Kale and Sausage Soup (My New Favorite)



The soup simmering in crockpot

I have purchased kale a lot this summer. I don't think many people have the slightest inkling of what to do with kale besides use it as a garnish. It taste awful raw! According to screwtips (food in medicine), "Kale is absolutely rich and abundant in calcium, lutein, iron, and Vitamins A, C, and K. Kale has seven times the beta-carotene of broccoli and ten times more lutein." The site also states, "The “Icing on the Kale” are the natural occurring all important phytochemicals sulforaphane and indoles which research suggests may protect against cancer." (screwtips, food in medicine online)

I made up this delicous soup that was so fantastically flavorful you would be suprised at the nutrition. I added turkey sausage and other veggies and even my husband went back for seconds as well as myself. Please make this soup, I promise you will love it!

Please ignore the picture. It taste so much better then it looks on camera, and my camera doesn't take the best of professional looking pictures.

You will need:

6 sausage links or turkey sausage links (cooked on stove and then sliced into peices)
1 whole medium to large potato, peeled and then cubed or chopped
1/2 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped raw kale
2 cans of chicken broth
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 c. water

In a crockpot or on the stove combine all ingrediants. Stir and allow to simmer in crockpot for 4-6 hours. On stove, I recommend you cook on medium low heat and just keep your eyeballs out to make sure veggies are tender. Once tender, you are ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)