4/17/2012

Common Food Staples, Fresh Produce, and Whole Foods Meal Planning Suggestion

My suggestion for Whole Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping:
I try to get items I will need for one whole week's worth of recipes. What I do is line up about five recipes (taking into account leftovers) and then get those items for the week. If I forget an item, I just make sure to get that item that day. Since I am using Jeanetteshealthyliving.com as my main recipe source for this whole foods challenge, I am writing down all the recipes I want to try that she has made, and then get my food list ready. This makes it so easy.

I wanted to list food staples here that you may find helpful to have in your pantry for your whole foods meal planning.

These are seasonings I recommend the most:
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic Powder
Coriander
Cumin
Thyme
curry powder
sea salt
black pepper
oregano
basil
rosemary
cilantro (dried)
parsley (dried)
sage
celery salt
chili powder
lemon pepper
cinnamon
nutmeg
cloves

Canned Goods
(I am eliminating most canned goods because of my efforts to do whole foods, but I highly recommend canned goods for food storage purposes. There are still canned items I need to use sometimes such as coconut milk since I don't have patience to work with coconuts. I also recommend canned pineapple, and other canned fruits that may be seasonal. Also, tomato paste/sauce, and diced tomatoes are good to have on hand in case you don't have fresh tomatoes.

Packaged beans, rice, oatmeal and legumes
dried garbonzo beans, black beans, pinto beans, and other favorite types of beans you may use. Brown short grain rice, Oatmeal, lentils, quinoa and millet.

Meats
I don't eat much meat at all, but when I do (maybe 3 x a week), I like to turn to my freezer. I recommend salmon, shrimp, organic ground turkey and chicken.
I have made every effort to eliminate all red meat from my diet.


Pasta

Potatoes
I also recommend keeping a big bag of potatoes on hand.

Vegetable and Chicken Stock/broth
I go through this like crazy because I use it in so many soups I make. I recommend getting a case of it at Costco or any store that carries things in big bulks.

Non Dairy Items

Soymilk, almond milk (you can actually buy these in cartons that do not need to be refrigerated until openend.
tofu


Fresh Produce/Perishables
I go to the grocery often because I like to buy the most freshest produce as possible. This time of year, as summer approaches, I like to go to Farmer's Markets to get fresh garden produce and more seasonal things.
Veggies I use the most include:
Cauliflower
Kale
Chard
Parsnips
Dandelion leaves
brocolli
leeks
beets
cilantro and other fresh herbs like basil and mint
mung beans
corn
mushrooms
sweet potatoe
onions
garlic
zuchinni
carrots
celery
asparagus

Fruits
Apples
Berries in season
pineapple
peaches
nectarines
kiwi
lemons/limes
tomatoes
avocado
pears

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)