4/17/2012

Corn Chowder With Turkey Bacon (non GMO corn)

This is a dairy free soup that I wanted to share as I continue with my whole foods challenge. This soup is rich and filling, and you would never believe there it is dairy free.


Corn Chowder With Turkey Bacon

2 c. of frozen corn
2 large potatoes, chopped
1 c. of chopped onion
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
4 slices of turkey bacon, sliced into peices. (I used organic, uncured turkey bacon, free of nitrates and preservatives).
4 c. of organic chicken broth
1 c. of plain organic soymilk
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. of water for cooking
In a deep pot, pour in 1/2 c. of water and toss in carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Cook with lid on pot, until tender. Add broth, seasonings, bacon, and corn. Allow to simmer for about 20 min. Add the soymilk last and allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes. Serve hot.
I served this meal with some steamed beets, and it was a meal sure to make you feel great. Update: As of 5/19, I have eliminated corn from my diet after discovering my intolerance to it).

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)