10/29/2015

Japanese Style Noodle Bowls

         
                      Did you know that I lived with Japanese people for four years?


I think everyone who knows me, knows about Sunny's insomnia or sleep disorder. Since she hit her 2 year mark, her insomnia improved a lot. She went from waking up every 2-3 hours in the night to eventually only waking once or twice in the night. The hard part was me getting back to sleep and nighttime battles from her not wanting to sleep in her own bed.

I should also mention that Sunny doesn't take naps.

Last night was one of those nights I can recall all too well.  Nights she is up for hours and can not settle herself down.

We did eventually made our way into the kitchen where she ate a huge bowl of cheerios and milk,  then wanted to play. This went on from 12:15 to 3:05 am. I then put her in her own bed, turned on some white noise, and slept on the floor beside her. She slept for 15 minutes,  then wanted out of her bed to play. She went back to sleep at 4:30 and then was up at her regular time, 7:15 am. To this day, Sunny has never slept an entire night without waking up.

I have been very sleep deprived since the day she was born.  I knew I was in for a long haul that night she was born.  She cried for hours in the night. The nurses came and wheeled her off to the nursery. They called her "fiesty" when she was a day old, and she was.

Once we were home, the baby insomnia continued.  I called the doctor office and brought her in constantly. With all the crying and lack of sleep from my newborn, I for sure thought something was wrong.  She had blood tests, urine tests, an ECG. Every thing came back normal. He said she had colic. He said her tummy felt fine too, so no digestive problems he knew of. The insomnia was a mystery.

1.5 months later, came the two months of her skin tumor growing out of control and painful ulcers and blisters on her skin that kept all of us.
For us, this time period was hell, for lack of a better word.

I know of  parents who go through much harder trials from their babies & children.   My trials don't even compare to others, and I feel I shouldn't complain.

I have a friend in my neighborhood who I owe a ton of gratitude to. She keeps me motivated and going strong during this sleep deprived season of my life.

I am certainly not a morning person.  This dear person comes to get me many mornings  to get me out exercising.  Some days I am right out of bed and out the door. For the last 1.5 months, we have walked approximately 40 or more miles. I would never have done this without her. This has significantly improved my well-being.

Anyone in my shoes would know the toll sleep deprivation combined with nursing can do to someone's energy. The nursing is done, but unfortunately the baby insomnia Sunny was born with, is still around.

To make life simpler around here,  I love to throw together easy meals. If you have Ramon noodles around, eggs, and assorted veggies and meat, you are set to make this. I also suggest chicken or beef stock in leau of the packet that comes in Raman noodles.
Serving Size: 3 people
Ingredients: (double if using more noodles)
3 packages Raman noodles, toss the packet out.
1/4 c. Cooked corn
1/4 c carrots, cut in long strips
1/4 c. Chopped red pepper
1/4 c. Cooked broccoli florets
1/4 c. Chopped scallions
1/4 c. Chopped cilantro leaves
3 hard boiled eggs
3 Chicken or rib meat, pre cooked and diced up.

Cook noodles according to package directions. I recommend cooking in stock instead of water.

Sautee veggies, except cilantro, in oil and set aside.

In a bowl,  mix 1/2 c. Tamari sauce, 1/2 T brown sugar, 1 T. Rice vinager, and 1 T. Sesame oil and 1/8 tsp. Ginger to the noodles and broth.

After tossing noodles in bowl, assemble veggies, meat and egg on top.

Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)