12/04/2016

Olivia's Blessing

 Today was our little Olivia's blessing day. It was not perfect, but it did go well. Let me explain, but before I do, I will remind you that over 3 years ago, Sunny was blessed. Problem was, the microphone was broken and I did not hear a single thing Rodney said. So it didn't go as I wished, but I got over it.
This time around, I dreamed about everything going great. Not perfect, but great.  For 2 months I imagined what her special day would be like. I am super emotional during any blessing and I just wanted to make a very special memory of today.
We got to church at about 10:30 because we needed to sort out some last business stuff and get a good seat. Rodney's mom and brother came and we wanted to make sure they also got a seat.  I made sure my bag was packed and ready just in case Olivia needed a last minute change. I feared she would have a blow out since she has been having them lately.  As I walked into the chapel, I realized I forgot her wipes. I had her diapers, but no wipes. Darn.  I sat down and sure enough, she had one and I needed her wipes. I went and changed her really quick, without the wipes. Yuck!

I didn't see my mom. She never misses choir practice so I thought she was sick.  Sure enough she arrived.  We had a good seat, and everything was going as planned. I still had some fear that Sunny would start freaking out or Olivia would began crying during her blessing. but so far everything was good.  I asked Rodney if the blessing was done before or after the sacrament. I couldn't seem to remember the order and I wanted to double check. He assured me it was after the sacrament.
About 5 minutes into sacrament, Sunny started freaking out over her game not working. She started begging my mom to help her and my mom kept saying not now, not now, which only made Sunny act worse.  I started growing concern that Sunny would get more frustrated and began crying, and during the opening prayer she did.  Rodney was holding the baby and asked me to take her out and I refused to get up during the prayer. It just seems irreverent,  so I waited. Sunny started crying louder and louder making a scene. So I took her out. I figured I would have enough time to calm her meltdown and get back in time for the blessing. There was no way in hell I would miss my baby's blessing.
Once in the bathroom, Sunny would not stop with the drama. She only got worse.  Why was this happening? Why on this special day I waited for so long.  I almost began to cry.  That is when a sister came into the bathroom and told me my baby was being blessed. What!!!

She told me she would stay with Sunny out in the hall while she cried so I would see and hear my baby be blessed. I rushed inside only to walk in during the blessing.

Sure, It was not supposed to go that way. It was not how I envisioned it to go. But again, I got over it.  I am realizing more and more that life never goes as planned.  If it weren't for sister P coming into take over Sunny, I would of missed the entire blessing. I am not sure I would ever get over that.

I am so thankful for the observant members in my ward. Someone saw me walk out with Sunny and someone knew I had not returned. Someone knew and felt prompted to intervene and take over and just the right moment. I will forever be thankful for this sister who did just that.

We had a barbeque at our home after the blessing and swooned over baby Olivia. She is the sweetest and most angelic baby I have ever seen. The bond I have with her is indescribable.  I can not imagine life without her.

Life is never meant to be perfect. Believe me when I say I try to make sure events go perfect, but they never do. I can't forget when I packed my hospital bag for Olivia's arrival. I had everything I would need, only to have my water bottle spill over everything and not have one dry item of clothing for either of us.  What a wreck that was.  But the point of all this is not to focus on the negative aspects of what happens, but whether the positive.  Today did turn very positive and I am so grateful and thankful for the sweet life of my baby girl.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)