2/26/2010

So Soft, Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls





I love cinnamon rolls, but ah man, why can't I eat them without feeling bad. I decided to make these cinnamon rolls, but add a little whole wheat flour to ease the pain of eating them and comfort my overwhelming sweet-tooth. And I only say that because my metabolism has slowed down quite a bit. I have made cinnamon rolls a lot over the years, but never really had a good one. A few weeks ago, a friend brought over amazing whole wheat cinnamon rolls and we all loved them. I decided whole wheat could be great. While exploring various online recipes, I found one that uses vanilla pudding in the recipe. Turns out, a lot of people use pudding to make cinnamon rolls but usually keep it a secret. This would be the ultimate cinnamon roll! Soft, moist, cinnamon and brown sugar goodness with cream cheese frosting.

Ingredients: (recipe taken from another source, but I added whole wheat flour to it and changed the frosting).

Rolls:
1/2 c. melted butter
2 T. active dry yeast
2 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 box of 1.34 oz vanilla pudding
4 1/2 c. flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 c. warm water

Filling:

1/2 c. melted butter
3 1/2 c. brown sugar
4 T. cinnamon
Reserve butter for dough. Combine sugar and cinnamon together for filling.


Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz pack of cream cheese
3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. milk
Blend until soft and creamy. Add more milk or more sugar to make more of your desired texture.



Dissolve yeast into warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. In large bowl, combine eggs and butter, mix then add salt. Make pudding according to directions. Allow to set in fridge for about 5 minutes. Gradually add flour and mix with other ingredients. Add pudding once set, and mix well. Dough should be very soft and easy to work with. If it is too sticky, add more flour until it is soft and manageable, but no longer sticky. Allow dough to rise for about an hour while covered.
Once ready, roll dough out on floured surface. Add butter over dough and then add brown sugar mixture with cinnamon over buttered dough. Roll up the dough and then cut into slices for each roll. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Take out of oven once slightly golden. Frost and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please send me any words of advice, clarification, feedback or just say "hello." I love hearing from you.

Tasty!

Tasty!
Mango Salsa (see January archive on right for recipe)